View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/money/article/a873181
Investments for 2016: Citywire writers' picks
Citywire investment writers pick the funds and shares they think could weather what looks likely to be a difficult year for markets.
With China's slowing growth and volatile stock markets sending jitters around the world, a referendum on the UK's European Union membership that could take place as early as next year, and an oil price that continues plummeting, 2016 looks like it will be a challenging one for investors.
We've collated the investment views of Citywire Money writers on their picks for the year. Last year, as with many investors, our picks delivered a mixed performance. Columnist Mike Deverell takes the prize for the best, after the Miton UK Value Opportunities fund enjoyed another strong year, rising 22.7%.
Editor Daniel Grote's attempt to reap the benefits of quantitative easing in the eurozone with a hedged Europe exchange traded fund, UBS EMU 100% Hedged GBP (UC60), delivered 9.3%. Meanwhile editor-in-chief Gavin Lumsden went for the Caledonia (CLDN ) investment trust, which rose 2.4%, but at least did not lose money. Lumsden's hopes that the trust's heavy discount could narrow went unmet, with the shares still trading more than 15% below net asset value.
Perhaps the riskiest pick belonged to Dumb Investor, who plumped for the beaten-up JPMorgan Russian Securities (JRS ) investment trust. At one stage it looked like Dumbo was going to run away with it, as JRS notched up the best performance of any investment trust in the first quarter of the year. But the natural order of things soon reimposed itself, and the fund ended the year just 6.4% higher.
David Kempton's fund picks fared less well. After enjoying a stellar 2014, the Indian stock market had a largely sideways year, reflected in the 1% rise in Aberdeen Global Indian Equity . Brazil meanwhile suffered a horror show, with its stock market and currency plunging as leftist president Dilma Rousseff struggled to get the country's economy fell deeper into recession, leaving the Allianz Brazil fund down 34.7% over the year.
Here's what our writers think might do well this year.
Next: Daniel Grote
News sponsored by:
Here at BlackRock, we help investors make more out of commodities with a range of innovative, flexible and resilient investment strategies.
From Brazil and Mexico, to Vietnam and Nigeria, the rapidly developing economies of Latin American and frontier markets, which are some of the smaller, less developed economies in the world, provides investors with a wealth of potential opportunities. Discover why BlackRock's investment trust range is well placed to help you make more of these exciting regions.
In this guide to investment trusts, produced in association with Aberdeen Asset Management, we spoke to many of the leading experts in the field to find out more.
More about this:
Look up the funds
- CF Miton UK Value Opportunities Ret A Acc
- Aberdeen Global - Indian Equity D2 GBP
- Allianz Brazil A Acc
- Old Mutual Global Equity Abs Return GBP A Acc Hdgd
Look up the shares
- UBS ETF-MSCI EMU hgd to GBP UCITS (GBP) A-acc
- Hutchison China MediTech Ltd
- Taylor Wimpey PLC
- Bellway PLC
- Bovis Homes Group PLC
- M J Gleeson Group Ltd
- Inland Homes PLC (ILND.L)
Look up the investment trusts
- Caledonia Investments (Ordinary Share)
- JPMorgan Russian Securities (Ordinary Share)
- Diverse Income Trust (Ordinary Share)
- North Atlantic Smaller Cos (Ordinary Share)
- Oryx International Growth (Ordinary Share)
- Pantheon International (Ordinary Share)
- 3i (Ordinary Share)
- Standard Life Euro Private Eq (Ordinary Share)
- HarbourVest Global Priv Equity (Ordinary Share)
- F&C Private Equity Trust (Ordinary Share)
- NB Private Equity Partners SPL (Ord Income)
- HgCapital Trust (Ordinary Share)
Look up the fund managers
More from us
- Investment Trusts: first quarter corkers and squawkers
- Gervais Williams ‘relieved’ thanks to FTSE protection policy
- David Kempton: a six-pack of stocks for 2016
- What makes private equity tick for growth investors
- Top Trusts Review: funds you can trust
- Investment Trust Insider: issue 23 out now!
Tools from Citywire Money
From the Forums
Weekly email from The Lolly
Get simple, easy ways to make more from your money. Just enter your email address below
An error occured while subscribing your email. Please try again later.
Thank you for registering for your weekly newsletter from The Lolly.
Keep an eye out for us in your inbox, and please add email@example.com to your safe senders list so we don't get junked.