View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/money/article/a894628
Nicer ISA: Citywire’s fund picks for 2016
Jonathan Miller, Citywire’s head of research, selects his favourite funds run by some of the country’s most experienced fund managers.
For UK Equities I’ve gone for three stock pickers with distinctive approaches.
Artemis UK Special Situations
Fund managers Derek Stuart and Andy Gray both have Citywire AA performance ratings. They look for unloved companies in the process of management turnaround. Over three quarters of the fund is held in large and medium-sized firms, with the rest in smaller and unlisted stocks. The fund is skewed towards technology, consumer services and industrial companies and away from healthcare and financials. Performance has been sound in tricky markets.
Liontrust Special Situations
Managers Anthony Cross and Julian Fosh also boast Citywire AA performance ratings and their fund ranks third out of 177 UK Equities funds over ten years with a 217% total return to the end of February. The duo look for companies with intellectual property, strong distribution networks or a recurring income stream. The portfolio has a heavy technology weighting and the duo are not averse to holding cash when they feel the time is right. The quality companies they invest in tend to be less swayed by market fluctuations which is why I regard this as a strong long-term pick.
Marlborough UK Micro Cap Growth
This is a compelling fund to invest in up-and-coming UK businesses. Giles Hargreave is the longest serving manager in UK Smaller Companies and over ten years the fund beats 35 other funds in the sector with an outstanding 227% total return. Hargreave and co-manager Guy Feld focus on companies with a market value under £250 million and are currently shunning stocks reliant on demand from Asia, concentrating instead on companies serving the UK market.
Next page: equity income funds
News sponsored by:
More about this:
Look up the funds
- Artemis UK Special Situations R Acc
- Liontrust Special Situations Fund (R)
- Marlborough UK Micro Cap Growth A Acc
- Artemis Income R Inc
- Royal London UK Equity Income A
- Rathbone Global Opportunities Acc
- Newton Real Return GBP Inc
- Standard Life Inv Global Absolute Ret Strat 4-Pen
- Stewart Investors Asia Pacific Leaders A GBP Acc
- Man GLG Japan CoreAlpha Retail Acc A GBP
- Jupiter European I Acc GBP
- Fidelity Emerging Markets Acc
- First State Global Listed Infras VI Dist GBP
- Henderson Strategic Bond A Net Inc
- Jupiter Strategic Bond Acc
- M&G Global Macro Bond A Inc
- EdenTree Amity International A
Look up the investment trusts
Look up the fund managers
- Derek Stuart
- Andy Gray
- Anthony Cross
- Julian Fosh
- Giles Hargreave
- Adrian Frost
- Adrian Gosden
- Nick Shenton
- Martin Cholwill
- Robin Hepworth
- James Thomson
- Iain Stewart
- Guy Stern
- Angus Tulloch
- David Gait
- Sashi Reddy
- Stephen Harker
- Neil Edwards
- Jeffrey Atherton
- Alexander Darwall
- Nick Price
- Peter Meany
- John Pattullo
- Jenna Barnard
- Ariel Bezalel
- Jim Leaviss
More from us
- Investment Trust Insider: issue 27 out now!
- Top Trusts Review: the final cut
- How I found 20 Top Trusts for Equity Income
- Citywire: best investment funds
Tools from Citywire Money
From the ForumsForums are temporarily down for maintenance.
Weekly email from The Lolly
Get simple, easy ways to make more from your money. Just enter your email address below
An error occured while subscribing your email. Please try again later.
Thank you for registering for your weekly newsletter from The Lolly.
Keep an eye out for us in your inbox, and please add email@example.com to your safe senders list so we don't get junked.