Citywire printed articles sponsored by:
View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a585136
Alliance fends off Laxey's second assault
by Sarah Miloudi on Apr 27, 2012 at 14:36
Shareholders in Alliance Trust have voted down Laxey's calls for a change in the way the vehicle is managed.
Although Alliance, which is headed up by Katherine Garrett-Cox, earlier this year posted sector beating results, Colin Kingsnorth's Laxey said more needed to be done to turn the vehicle's long-term numbers around.
In an interview with our sister publication Wealth Manager, new Alliance chair Karin Forseke also denied that Aberdeen is keen to take on the investment trust's mandate.
'I [or] we have not been approached,' Forseke said.
Aberdeen Asset Management is understood to have written to the Alliance Trust board ahead of today's vote, sending it a letter formally expressing its interest should the mandate be put out to tender.
Laxey said that while its resolution to outsource the trust's management was not supported by the majority of investors, it was 'heartened' that some 20% backed its call, adding it would likely seek a detailed proposal from Aberdeen.
Laxey said: 'Today’s press reports Aberdeen Asset Management has written to the board is a very positive development and we expect our chairman to seek detailed proposals from Aberdeen concerning their approach and report back to shareholders as to the best possible outcome for all of Alliance’s shareholders.'
News sponsored by:
Today's top headlines
- Saturday Papers: Backlash to hit scandal-tainted City
- Lights, camera, action! Widows and Helm launch film pension scheme
- High Court judge imposes freezing order on Harlequin bosses' assets
- Tenet scraps five-day Twitter checks with new social media policy
- PIMS 2013: Wraps reject move to flat-fee pricing
More about this article:
Look up the shares
More from us
- Alliance Trust grows divi 7% on sector-beating returns
- Laxey divi call makes 'Greek finances look prudent'
- Brewin eyes Aberdeen's Alliance 'bid' as Laxey backs rival
- Alliance rebuts Aberdeen talk as Laxey costs hit £2.5m
by Himanshu Singh on May 18, 2013 at 04:18