Citywire printed articles sponsored by:
View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a659906
FSA outlines FCA super-complaint regime
by Michelle Abrego on Feb 19, 2013 at 10:14
The Financial Services Authority(FSA) has outlined how its successor the Financial Conduct Authority will deal with super-complaints to protect consumers from wide spread market failures such as the mis-selling of payment protection insurance (PPI).
A super-complaint is a complaint by a designated consumer body alleging that a feature or a combination of features of the market for financial services in the UK is significantly damaging the interests of consumers.
The proposals outline evidence needed to support super-complaints and references and how it will be handled by the new regulator.
Evidence to the FCA for a super complaint should include details of the market, the sale or distribution practices that could have an impact on consumers, who they would have an impact on and if possible an extent of damage it could cause.
The FCA will be required to respond to a super-complaint or reference within 90 days setting out how it proposes to deal with the complaint and any possible actions.
It can also carry out wider enquires with a view to testing the evidence like internal research, public requests of information and carry out a review of the relevant regulated firms.
Complainants will be able to decide whether or not to publicise the super complaints but the FCA will be required to publish the response to the super complaint.
News sponsored by:
Today's top headlines
- Saturday Papers: Backlash to hit scandal-tainted City
- Lights, camera, action! Widows and Helm launch film pension scheme
- High Court judge imposes freezing order on Harlequin bosses' assets
- Tenet scraps five-day Twitter checks with new social media policy
- PIMS 2013: Wraps reject move to flat-fee pricing
More about this article:
More from us
- FOS hit by rising pensions complaints as PPI cases soar
- Apfa calls on FCA to consider impact of regulation
- FSA outlines FCA super-complaint regime
- Complaints Commissioner urges FSA to review record keeping
by Himanshu Singh on May 18, 2013 at 04:18