View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a652815
HMRC eyes tax clampdown on platform rebates
by Jun Merrett on Jan 22, 2013 at 18:31
HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC) has said it is examining the tax status of platform unit and cash rebates to investors.
A spokesman said the Revenue had been alerted to the issue and wanted to ensure rebates were being taxed correctly.
'The tax status of regular payments by platforms to investors under current legislation has been raised with HMRC and we are considering whether the correct tax treatment is being applied by the platforms and the recipients of such payments,’ he said.
While platform cash rebates are set to be banned from 31 December, platforms will still be able to pass on unit rebates from fund managers to investors. When the cash rebate ban was first announced, platforms warned the move to unit rebates could create a taxable event.
With fund managers creating rebate-free clean share classes under the retail distribution review, many platforms have committed to moving away from rebates for the majority of their business.
Skandia has been the most vocal in its support of a unit rebate model, claiming that it will enable them to secure a better deal for investors.
News sponsored by:
As the UK coalition government strives to rebalance the national economy, so called 'reshoring' looks set to play an increasingly important role in economic recovery.
Today's top headlines
Alastair Mundy met Citywire's Daniel Grote at the London Stock Exchange Studios for a detailed interview about the Investec Cautious Managed fund.
More about this article:
More from us
- HMRC wins court battle against £80m Matrix tax scheme
- HMRC doubles team to tackle wealthy tax avoiders
- HMRC bolsters crackdown on pension unlocking with new team
- FSA delays platform paper publication to 2013
- Tisa lobbies FSA for 12-month delay to cash rebate ban
- Platforms: FSA stands firm on fund manager and cash rebate bans
- Skandia hits out at FSA over cash rebate ban delay
- The unbundled battle: platforms compete for best value status
- F&C unveils capital protected RDR share class
by Michelle Abrego on Jul 25, 2014 at 14:39