View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a637437
IFAs question solicitors’ due diligence for restricted referrals
by Michelle Abrego on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:45
Advisers have questioned the Solicitors Regulation Authority’s (SRA) proposal to allow referrals to restricted advisers, and for solicitors to conduct their own due diligence on advisers.
Following a consultation the SRA is set to tell its board on Wednesday 28 November that solicitors making referrals to only independent advisers is not in keeping with its ‘outcomes focused regulation'.
It will instead recommend that solicitors can refer to any type of adviser provided they have done due diligence on them and it has been discussed with the client.
Simon Webster managing director of Ashford-based Facts & Figures Chartered Financial Planners, questioned whether solicitors were in a position to carry out due diligence on advisers.
‘It begs the question, why would the SRA make it more complicated expecting firms to do that necessary due diligence before recommending an adviser?’
Gill Cardy, managing director of trade body the IFA Centre, said that the SRA could be expecting too much from solicitors by asking them to justify their referrals.
‘The whole point is that they’re [solicitors] highly qualified professionals in the law, not in financial services,’ she said. ‘They’re not authorised to assess and discuss client’s [financial] needs in the way financial advisers are and I don’t think they are in any position [to give the appropriate advice].’
Andrew Whiteley, managing director of Herefordshire and Cambridge -based Provisio, said despite the SRA’s recommendation, independent advisers would remain solicitors preferred option.
‘I don’t think [opening up to restricted advisers will] make any difference at all to the people we deal with.’
‘They’re [the SRA] expecting solicitors to make an informed decision. That’s what needs to be the upper most thought of anyone referring clients, that they’re making an informed decision that recommends the firm that best meets the requirement that the client might have.’
News sponsored by:
Today's top headlines
- Sunday Papers: BoE to launch inquiry over forex fixing claims
- Saturday Papers: Independent Scotland would lose UK's AAA rating, warns Citigroup
- FCA issues warning against US firm targeting UK investors
- Nest director John Taylor exits after 12 months
- FCA set to simplify adviser charging reporting rules
More about this article:
More from us
- Solicitors' regulator set to rubber-stamp restricted referrals
- SRA plans to remove barrier to IFA links with solicitors
- State of the nation: how advisers are shaping up for RDR
- IFAs dismiss threat to referrals post-RDR
- Sifa hits out at SRA over plans to allow restricted referrals
- Aifa and IFA Centre clash over solicitor referrals