View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a659884
Nest warns against complacency over early auto-enrolment success
by Brian Cantwell on Feb 19, 2013 at 09:24
The government and pensions industry must not be complacent about the initial success of auto-enrolment, as the challenge of engaging small and medium sized businesses has yet to be met, the National Employment Savings Trust (Nest) has warned.
Auto-enrolment began in October 2012 for companies with 120,000 employees or more. Firms with 50 employees or less will come under the reform from April 2015 onwards.
According to Nest, only 10% of employees have opted out of auto-enrolment since October, half as many as had been expected.
Speaking at the Westminster Employment Forum auto-enrolment conference, Graham Vidler (pictured), Nest director of communications and engagement, said the strong uptake among large businesses had been boosted by their resources and payroll functions. ‘Opt-out rates are very low at 10% which is very encouraging,’ he said.
However, he said the pensions industry must keep products simple to maintain that among smaller firms.
News sponsored by:
Today's top headlines
- Sunday Papers: BoE to launch inquiry over forex fixing claims
- Saturday Papers: Independent Scotland would lose UK's AAA rating, warns Citigroup
- FCA issues warning against US firm targeting UK investors
- Nest director John Taylor exits after 12 months
- FCA set to simplify adviser charging reporting rules
More about this article:
More from us
- MPs join calls to lift Nest restrictions in 2013
- Standard tells gov't: don't rule out compulsory auto-enrolment
by Himanshu Singh on Mar 09, 2014 at 04:54