Citywire printed articles sponsored by:
View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a645613
Osborne open to scrapping inflation target
by Daniel Grote on Dec 14, 2012 at 08:41
Chancellor George Osborne has signalled that he is open to scrapping the UK’s 2% inflation target for a goal focused on growth, in an appearance before the Treasury Select Committee.
Osborne’s comments come after Mark Carney, who is set to become Bank of England governor, suggested central banks could target nominal GDP rather than inflation levels.
Osborne said there were ‘no plans’ to abandon the Bank’s inflation target but praised Carney for leading debate on the issue.
He said the inflation target had ‘served the country well’ and that a change would need to be able to demonstrate ‘significant rewards’.
News sponsored by:
Today's top headlines
- Sunday Papers: Shell warns against commodity market regulation
- Saturday Papers: Backlash to hit scandal-tainted City
- Lights, camera, action! Widows and Helm launch film pension scheme
- High Court judge imposes freezing order on Harlequin bosses' assets
- Tenet scraps five-day Twitter checks with new social media policy
More about this article:
by Himanshu Singh on May 19, 2013 at 03:08