Citywire printed articles sponsored by:
View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a633244
Peter Williams sparks independent versus restricted debate
by Alex Steger on Nov 09, 2012 at 13:21
Former Aegon head of industry development Peter Williams has reignited the debate over independent and restricted labels, arguing the Financial Services Authority’s (FSA) definition of independent was still open to debate.
Speaking at the Personal Finance Society (PFS) conference Williams said he was ‘uncomfortable’ with the FSA’s definition because it was still open to interpretation.
Williams (pcitured), a non-executive director of the Beaufort Group, said that he expected the firm to continue trading as independent firm but would be considered a ‘restricted whole of market’ label.
Paul Lothian Verus Chartered Financial Planners, said: ‘We’re not too precious about the title, so we’re probably falling in that passive restricted space because we won’t recommend unregulated collective investment schemes or structured products.’
News sponsored by:
Today's top headlines
- Advisers and providers split over impact of consultancy charging ban
- IFAs vent frustration at lack of re-reg progress
- Lighthouse ties up with Aviva for exclusive protection offering
- Barnett Waddingham: give trustees power to block pension liberation
- Standard Life to pay platform rebate tax for investors
More about this article:
by Brian Cantwell on May 20, 2013 at 15:02