Citywire printed articles sponsored by:
View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a652265
Structured products: IFAs urge FSA to rule on provider communication
by Rachael Revesz on Feb 04, 2013 at 15:08
This view was echoed by David Dixon (pictured), owner of Bradford-based Ebor Asset Management, who favours providers such as Investec and Cater Allen for structured deposits.
‘There’s so much happening at the moment and so much information to absorb that it’s very easy for us to miss [these things],’ he said. ‘A downgrade is a very important feature.’
He said more information seemed to be available about new issues, and he made a point of visiting providers’ websites regularly to keep informed.
Newman said additional information from providers would be useful for kick-outs and fixed-term products to help ease advisers’ administrative burden.
‘Some of them send a note just before the kick-out anniversary, but it would be useful if they had a reminder of what the deal was, what it was linked to and what the index was at the start,’ he said.
James Harrington, head of business development at L&G, said the provider did have an obligation to give advisers sufficient information on an ongoing basis, but advisers also had a responsibility to do their own research.
‘IFAs need to carry on that due diligence over the life of the plan, in the same way they would review an investment portfolio of collectives,’ he said.
News sponsored by:
Today's top headlines
- Advisers and providers split over impact of consultancy charging ban
- IFAs vent frustration at lack of re-reg progress
- Lighthouse ties up with Aviva for exclusive protection offering
- Barnett Waddingham: give trustees power to block pension liberation
- Standard Life to pay platform rebate tax for investors
More about this article:
More from us
- Structured products: Advisers claim complexity remains despite RDR rules
- Advisers shun execution-only route for structured products
- Structured Products: Advisers shy of bespoke market despite efforts to improve access
- Sponsored debate: Investec on structured products post-RDR
- Structured products education is a gap waiting to be filled
- Structured products: Advisers seek solution to soaring PI costs
- Structured products: Demand for more clarity on structured investment charges
What others are saying
by Brian Cantwell on May 20, 2013 at 15:02