Citywire printed articles sponsored by:
View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/article/a465537
When the chips are down: Jon Maguire turns to cod
by Nicholas Paler on Jan 25, 2011 at 13:40
Is it salmon we said? We’ve been herring that Jon Maguire has waved cod pie to financial services to start up a fishy new venture.
Ex-Cru Investment Management chairman Maguire is running Bristol-based Maguire’s fish and chip shop, which claims to be one of the oldest chippies in the UK.
It seems Maguire has finally found his plaice, moving out of the frying pan of financial services over to the world of the deep fat fryer.
He bought the business last year and has been running it with his son George. While he has obviously said pollocks to financial services, his firm’s website promises his return won’t be a damp squid.
It boasts the shop has received six ‘seafish quality awards’ and the ‘hotly-contested South West Fish & Chip Shop of the Year’.
‘We are pleased to carry on the great traditions of the past placing the restaurant and take away into a modern and sustainable environment but still with a passion for the finest fish and chips ever,’ the firm says on its website.
However, Maguire was not keen to talk about his new business venture, telling us to get on our pike when we contacted him. ‘I’m not going to talk about fish and chips to Citywire,’ he said.
The move marks a departure from financial services for Maguire, who will now be required to satisfy a completely different sort of FSA when he starts dealing with the Food Standards Agency.
News sponsored by:
Today's top headlines
Challenged by growing risk aversion?
Challenging financial markets over recent years have resulted in growing risk aversion among British savers and led many to seek safety in cash. Click here for more.
More about this article:
More from us
- Maguire disbands Arch Cru compensation group
- Voila! He's gone... Maguire leaves marketing company
- Danner's difficulties a warning sign for advisers in Arch Cru
- Africa Invest Malawi farming business sold for just £175,000
- Skinner: Arch Cru sunk my firm but I'll give Maguire second chance
- Et Voila! The FSA washes its hands of Maguire again
- Voila! Maguire really is daring to make a comeback
- Africa Invest farming business sold for nominal sum
- Jon Maguire to stand for anti-immigration English Democrats party
- Cru crisis: Africa Invest probes expenses under Maguire
- Africa Invest shareholders will not receive any money back
- Capita threatens to pursue Cru in the event of IFA legal action
- Maguire needs to take his share of the blame for Arch Cru
- You've got to see this: Dan's take on Cru's outrageous promo DVD
- Arch Cru: too much blame, not enough answers
- Jon Maguire resigns from Africa Invest
- Cru: Maguire shifts focus on Arch with complaint to SFO
What others are saying
by Himanshu Singh on Dec 08, 2013 at 05:41