Date opened: 2010
Average portfolio size: £475K
Number in team: 33
Office clients: 530
Assets under management: £400 million
Top three fund picks:
• Odey Absolute Return
• Somerset Emerging Market Small Cap
• Schroder QEP Global Core
Q&A with Barry Newbury, managing partner, Epoch Wealth Management, Bath:
Are you bullish or bearish?
What is your typical client demographic?
Business owner/entrepreneur or otherwise wealthy private client. Late 40s to early 60s, has a family and wants a plan for life.
What differentiates your location?
Epoch covers the whole south of the UK so it is hard to say much, other than the obvious statement that (on the whole), there is greater wealth in the south than the north.
What challenges are facing your area?
The same challenges facing the country as a whole – economic recovery/stability in the face of a changing political and social landscape.
What’s the best thing about living in your area?
We can be in the middle of nowhere fast, but also in the centre of London within a couple of hours.
What’s a typical regional saying?
‘Where to?’ meaning ‘where are you going?’ or ‘where is it?’
For example: ‘I lost my wallet.’ ‘Where to?’
Or ‘Somewhen’ meaning ‘sometime’. Also, ‘anywhen’, with the same translation.
For example: ‘When can we have another meeting?’ ‘Somewhen soon. Anywhen next week, really.’
What is your office motto?
Our attitude and motto is best summarised as ‘work hard, play hard’.
Typical balanced portfolio:
- Why Speirs & Jeffrey was forced to sell to Rathbones
- Richard Colwell: fund management is a funny old game
- Wealth boom: where DFMs must improve by 2021
- Is meeting the fund manager a must? 4
- How to invest for the cities of the future
- Iress: how to build personal and suitable client relationships
- How LGBT 'banter' is damaging the investment community 3
Asia stocks fall after US-China trade tensions escalated
Japan's Nikkei 225 fell 0.85%, with all sectors trading lower.
- Sunday Papers: Coca-Cola and Heinz in £3bn battle for Horlicks
- Saturday Papers: China is set to retaliate against US tariffs
- Administrators reap £106m reward from stockbroker failure 1
- Wealth planner boss charged with fraud on missing £13m
- Wealth firms in 'early stages' of 'complete transformation' 1
- Friday Papers: ECB to phase out quantitative easing by year end
- Overnight Markets: Tech, media shares lift Nasdaq to new record
- FTSE rallies as ECB settles nerves after hawkish Fed
- The 30 best paid athletes in the world
- Tom Becket presents Psigma's World Cup dream team
- Rathbones to drop Speirs name after £104m merger
CEO Tapes: Buxton to Gilbert - ‘my Glencore quandary’
Do not miss the first two minutes of this film as Richard Buxton shares how he has been challenged by a client for owning shares in a certain company.
CEO Tapes: the huge opportunities for asset managers
From tech disruption, retirement and poaching, the CEO discuss the opportunities for their businesses in this episode.
CEO Tapes: 'we're just a bunch of white dudes sitting here'
In our brand new series, eight CEOs discuss how the industry could do a better job for female fund managers.
Profile: how to go from no funds experience to head of a firm in a year
Yariv Haim is a man who seems to like a challenge
World Cup 2018
MPS Investment Committee: Tom Becket, Psigma Investment Management
Office Spotlight: Brown Shipley, Edinburgh
Walking with Wealth Managers: David Miller of Quilter Cheviot
Anything but standard - island life with Standard Bank Jersey
Sanlam Group celebrates its 100th birthday - here's what they've been up to
Citywire triumph at Stamford Bridge
Office Spotlight: Brooks Macdonald, Cardiff
MPS Investment Committee: Andrew Morgan, Walker Cambria
Pub Club: At The One Bull in Bury St Edmunds with Beckett Asset Management
Office Spotlight: Quilter Cheviot, Salisbury
MPS Investment Committee: Jeremy Balfour-Melville, Malloch Melville Investment Managers
Business Tree: JM Finn, Bury St Edmunds
Walking with Wealth Managers: Julie-Ann Ashcroft of Standard Life Wealth
Meet Wealth Manager's latest recruit: Katie Gilfillan
MPS Investment Committee: Jason Day & Eric Louw, Standard Life Wealth
A day in the life of: AJ Bell's Russ Mould
Office Spotlight: Brewin Dolphin, Glasgow
Pub Club: At Balls Brothers with Charles Stanley's latest recruits
Thamesis’ Paul Reynolds rides for charity in Bums on Bikes challenge
MPS Investment Committee: Jordan Sriharan, Thomas Miller Investment