Date opened: March 2012
Office clients: More than 300
Average portfolio size: £250k
Number in team: 5
Top fund picks:
1. Troy Trojan fund: It offers low volatility in these uncertain times, with historically strong returns. Managed by Sebastian Lyon.
2. Henderson European Growth: We have recently increased exposure to Europe due to the relatively attractive valuations and potential upside as unemployment continues to fall.
3. Lindsell Train UK Equity: Held widely across our recommended portfolios, it has an excellent long-term record.
Q&A with Craig Allison, investment manager and head of Poole office, WH Ireland.
What is your typical client demographic?
Poole has an above average number of residents aged 65+ and is popular with the retired, with some of our clients having downsized their property and looking to invest this capital. We also look after clients who are middle aged professionals saving for retirement.
What differentiates your region?
Poole is an attractive location to live, work and retire. To the west there is the world famous Jurassic coast, including beautiful coastal spots such as Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door through to the New Forest in the east.
What challenges are facing your local area?
Clients are seeking a wealth manager they can trust with their portfolio where they typically have a need for income and someone who can assist with IHT planning. We also work with clients who are planning for retirement and want someone to manage their pension investments.
What’s the best thing about living in your region?
I love that I can work with my clients all day, and be on the beach with my young family building a sandcastle at weekends.
What is your office motto?
‘Keep it simple.’ Custodiunt illud simplex.
What is a typical regional saying?
‘Some folk want their luck buttered.’ – Thomas Hardy
Asset Allocation of a typical balanced portfolio
- CISI slams FCA plan to scrap Approved Persons Register 5
- Is the auto industry the next ‘Big Short?’
- How to make a compensation payout last a lifetime 1
- Déjà vu all over again: tax avoidance or criminal activity?
- Should wealth firms consider TV advertising?
- Data protection dilemma: how to tackle Mifid II and GDPR clash
- Polar Capital's Rochussen: 'You have to be ruthless'
Inflation hits six year high as prices keep rising
Inflation has hit a near six-year high in November to 3.1% according to the consumer price index (CPI) measure.
- Tuesday Papers: Europeans issue warning to Trump on tax overhaul
- Overnight Markets: Tech stocks help Wall Street close higher
- Six found guilty in £2.7m boiler room scam
- Banks lead FTSE higher as Fed prepares rate rise
- Moola no longer iShares exclusive as it adds three ETF majors
- Bitcoin futures surge 25% in opening session of trading 1
Mark Barnett - part 2: why I'm not buying Lloyds
In the second part of our exclusive video interview, Barnett explains why he has no intention of buying Lloyds, and where he sees the greatest income opportunities.
Wealth managers reveal the best investment ideas of the year
From robotics to impact investing, wealth managers share the best ideas they have heard this year.
Baillie Gifford's Earnshaw on Xi Jinping's 'new era'
Sophie Earnshaw talks through what Xi Jinping's 'new era' means for investors. and why Chinese tech offers some of best growth stocks in the world.
Profile: JM Finn on why the future is with financial planners
There is a lot of work on pension consolidation and Sipps have been a big driver there, says JM Finn chief executive
Pub Club: at The Old Beams in Milton Keynes with WH Ireland
MPS Investment Committee: Simon Doherty, Quilter Cheviot
Office Spotlight: Equilibrium Asset Management, Cheshire
MPS Investment Committee: Sanjay Rijhsinghani and MPS team, LGT Vestra
Dining with 7IM's Damian Barry at The Culpeper
On the Road Challenge: Bowling with Kleinwort Hambros
Pub Club: at the bar with Standard Life Wealth's resident rugby star
Office Spotlight: Hargreave Hale, Llandudno
Parmenion: the perks of investing in interesting times
Investment Committee: Arnaud Gandon, Heptagon Capital
Pub Club: At the Water Poet with BMO's Kelly Prior
Office Spotlight: Brooks Macdonald, Manchester
Made in the Midlands: the growth of boutique BRI Wealth Management
Pub Club: At The Cask & Glass with PortfolioMetrix
Coutts celebrate opening of Rwanda cricket ground
Office Spotlight: Casterbridge Wealth, Salisbury
Citigold client events with a difference
Investment Committee: Gary Stockdale, Vertem Asset Management
Pub Club: at the Oast House with Investec W&I Manchester head
Office Spotlight: Brewin Dolphin, Bristol
Investment Committee: Murray Asset Management keeping the consumer confident