Date opened: March 2012
Office clients: More than 300
Average portfolio size: £250k
Number in team: 5
Top fund picks:
1. Troy Trojan fund: It offers low volatility in these uncertain times, with historically strong returns. Managed by Sebastian Lyon.
2. Henderson European Growth: We have recently increased exposure to Europe due to the relatively attractive valuations and potential upside as unemployment continues to fall.
3. Lindsell Train UK Equity: Held widely across our recommended portfolios, it has an excellent long-term record.
Q&A with Craig Allison, investment manager and head of Poole office, WH Ireland.
What is your typical client demographic?
Poole has an above average number of residents aged 65+ and is popular with the retired, with some of our clients having downsized their property and looking to invest this capital. We also look after clients who are middle aged professionals saving for retirement.
What differentiates your region?
Poole is an attractive location to live, work and retire. To the west there is the world famous Jurassic coast, including beautiful coastal spots such as Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door through to the New Forest in the east.
What challenges are facing your local area?
Clients are seeking a wealth manager they can trust with their portfolio where they typically have a need for income and someone who can assist with IHT planning. We also work with clients who are planning for retirement and want someone to manage their pension investments.
What’s the best thing about living in your region?
I love that I can work with my clients all day, and be on the beach with my young family building a sandcastle at weekends.
What is your office motto?
‘Keep it simple.’ Custodiunt illud simplex.
What is a typical regional saying?
‘Some folk want their luck buttered.’ – Thomas Hardy
Asset Allocation of a typical balanced portfolio
- A fresh start: what it takes to set up a wealth boutique
- The perils of 10% portfolio falls reporting 4
- Mifid II crossroads – a fair price for research? 1
- Shrimp wars: the Indian commodity that could get caught in the net
- Predicting the future: a problem in asset management
- Surprise at Mifid II ‘bill shock’ warning
- Cohen & Steers: rate misconception masking Reits opportunity
The hedge fund that's beaten Woodford twice
Small US hedge fund Kerrisdale Capital has been on the winning side of two high-profile clashes with Neil Woodford.
BNY Mellon Investment ManagementThe slow-burn success story that could light a fire under tobacco stocks
- Barclays records loss in Q1 after hit from US fine and PPI claims
- Thursday Papers: Takeda strikes deal to acquire Shire for £46bn
- Overnight Markets: Wall Street stages late-day rally on upbeat earnings
- Party promoter jailed over £87k phoney VAT claim
- 7IM hires Rathbones director to launch Jersey office
- Shares in challenger bank dive on £300m cash call warning
Insight's Waddington reveals infrastructure plays post-Carillion
Post-Carillion Steve Waddington is still finding attractive plays in infrastructure.
Mark Stevenson: oil is the dumbest place to put your money
Futurist Mark Stevenson says that investing in oil is not just a risk to the environment but also your investment.
Boutique tapes: my business will never be sold
In the final part of our four part series we discuss consolidation and whether it's getting tougher for boutiques to survive.
Profile: Psigma's MPS architect on how to win the regions
Few wealth managers would recommend day trading as an investment strategy
Former Walker Crips wealth manager proud to celebrate Best Beginnings' 10th Anniversary
MPS Investment Committee: Jonathan Webster-Smith, Brooks Macdonald
A day in the life of... Psigma Investment Management's Peter Seamer
Sorbus Partners – the multi-family office taking off in the Midlands
Podcast: Walking with Wealth Managers - Standard Life Wealth's Aidan Butler
Meet Wealth Manager's latest recruit: Alex Foster
MPS Investment Committee: James Horniman, James Hambro & Partners
Office Spotlight: Cazenove Capital, Edinburgh
Pub Club: At The Kings Store with Standard Life Wealth CIO John Hair
MPS Investment Committee: Gill Lakin, Brompton Asset Management
On the Road diary...in Manchester
Office Spotlight: TAMAC, Salisbury
Podcast: Walking with Wealth Managers - Greg Mahon of Rathbones
Pub Club: At Ye Grapes with Connor Broadley’s James Connor and Chris Wyllie
Office Spotlight: Rathbones, Winchester
MPS Investment Committee: Barry Cowen, Sanlam FOUR
MPS Investment Committee: Piers Cushing, Plurimi Wealth
Office Spotlight: Quilter Cheviot, Belfast
Walking with Wealth Managers: Lorne Baring of B Capital
Pub Club: At Shakespeare's Globe with Sanlam's Cynthia Bowring
Wealth managers and IFAs join forces for the 'Girls Speak Out' appeal