Date opened: 2007
Office clients: 600
Average portfolio size: £300,000
AUM: £390 million
GROUP AUM: £710 million
Top fund picks:
1. Amati UK Smaller Companies: Doug Lawson is a tremendous stock picker and this fund deserves a much wider audience.
2. Henderson Emerging Market Opportunities: This a very high quality, well diversified and relatively small emerging markets fund, with a very experienced manager in Glen Finegan.
3. Artemis Global Select: At around £70 million, Simon Edelsten’s fund can be exceptionally nimble and we like the way the thematic construction dovetails with our modus operandi.
Q&A with Jim Wood-Smith, CIO private clients & head of research, Hawksmoor, Exeter.
What is your typical client demographic?
The South West is an increasingly dynamic and cosmopolitan economy. The typical view of Devon being a retirement home is terribly outdated and our clients are just as likely to be entrepreneurs as they are to be retirees.
What differentiates your region?
There is a unique warmth and friendliness to the South West. The quality of life is unmatchable, even with the wet winters.
What is the best thing about your location?
There is a youthful dynamism about the city, largely because of the student population. In the past five years there has been huge investment into redevelopment and leisure in the city centre, which has a new-found buzz. Yet we are a stone’s throw from Dartmoor, the coast and some of Britain’s most beautiful countryside.
What are the challenges facing your area?
Exeter is outgrowing its infrastructure. The city is booming and expanding rapidly, but the roads are increasingly unable to cope. It is not many years ago when you would rarely see another soul at 7am, now the traffic is already backing up at that time. Cornwall has made superfast broadband a county policy, but rural Devon has yet to catch up.
What is a typical regional saying?
Is that Ben Bradshaw?
What is your office motto?
‘What is the margin of safety?’ Experience teaches that even the best ideas can go wrong. When they do, it is better that you have not bought something that was already priced for perfection; downside protection is in our DNA.
- FCA Mifid probe should address research 'conflicts'
- The existential crisis facing wealth managers 1
- Why Speirs & Jeffrey was forced to sell to Rathbones
- Richard Colwell: fund management is a funny old game
- Wealth boom: where DFMs must improve by 2021
- Is meeting the fund manager a must? 4
- How to invest for the cities of the future
Citywire Pay Report 2018: take our survey!
The Citywire Pay Report is back!
- Asia stocks mixed amid lingering trade concerns
- Sunday Papers: Bosses attack May on Brexit muddle
- Saturday Papers: Company pension schemes warned on rogue adviser threat
- The 10 biggest FTSE 100 losers since Brexit
- The 10 biggest FTSE 100 winners since Brexit 1
- FTSE rallies as Syncona and Woodford bask in Autolus glow
Citywire Scotland: how wealth managers use new tech
We caught up with a few wealth managers at our annual event in Gleneagles to find out what technological innovations they are employing across their businesses.
CEO Tapes: Buxton to Gilbert - ‘my Glencore quandary’
Do not miss the first two minutes of this film as Richard Buxton shares how he has been challenged by a client for owning shares in a certain company.
CEO Tapes: the huge opportunities for asset managers
From tech disruption, retirement and poaching, the CEO discuss the opportunities for their businesses in this episode.
Pics from our profile of Alpha Beta's George Higginson
See all the pics from this week's profile
The Dee and the Dolphin: catching up with Brewin Dolphin in Aberdeen
Pub Club: With Tcam's Mark Little at De Hems (sort of)
MPS Investment Committee: Jordan Sriharan, Thomas Miller Investment
Office Spotlight: WHIreland International Wealth, Isle of Man
World Cup 2018
MPS Investment Committee: Tom Becket, Psigma Investment Management
Office Spotlight: Brown Shipley, Edinburgh
Anything but standard - island life with Standard Bank Jersey
Sanlam Group celebrates its 100th birthday - here's what they've been up to
Citywire triumph at Stamford Bridge
Office Spotlight: Brooks Macdonald, Cardiff
MPS Investment Committee: Andrew Morgan, Walker Cambria
Pub Club: At The One Bull in Bury St Edmunds with Beckett Asset Management
Office Spotlight: Quilter Cheviot, Salisbury
MPS Investment Committee: Jeremy Balfour-Melville, Malloch Melville Investment Managers
Business Tree: JM Finn, Bury St Edmunds
Walking with Wealth Managers: Julie-Ann Ashcroft of Standard Life Wealth
Meet Wealth Manager's latest recruit: Katie Gilfillan
MPS Investment Committee: Jason Day & Eric Louw, Standard Life Wealth
A day in the life of: AJ Bell's Russ Mould
Office Spotlight: Brewin Dolphin, Glasgow