Date opened: 2007
Office clients: 600
Average portfolio size: £300,000
AUM: £390 million
GROUP AUM: £710 million
Top fund picks:
1. Amati UK Smaller Companies: Doug Lawson is a tremendous stock picker and this fund deserves a much wider audience.
2. Henderson Emerging Market Opportunities: This a very high quality, well diversified and relatively small emerging markets fund, with a very experienced manager in Glen Finegan.
3. Artemis Global Select: At around £70 million, Simon Edelsten’s fund can be exceptionally nimble and we like the way the thematic construction dovetails with our modus operandi.
Q&A with Jim Wood-Smith, CIO private clients & head of research, Hawksmoor, Exeter.
What is your typical client demographic?
The South West is an increasingly dynamic and cosmopolitan economy. The typical view of Devon being a retirement home is terribly outdated and our clients are just as likely to be entrepreneurs as they are to be retirees.
What differentiates your region?
There is a unique warmth and friendliness to the South West. The quality of life is unmatchable, even with the wet winters.
What is the best thing about your location?
There is a youthful dynamism about the city, largely because of the student population. In the past five years there has been huge investment into redevelopment and leisure in the city centre, which has a new-found buzz. Yet we are a stone’s throw from Dartmoor, the coast and some of Britain’s most beautiful countryside.
What are the challenges facing your area?
Exeter is outgrowing its infrastructure. The city is booming and expanding rapidly, but the roads are increasingly unable to cope. It is not many years ago when you would rarely see another soul at 7am, now the traffic is already backing up at that time. Cornwall has made superfast broadband a county policy, but rural Devon has yet to catch up.
What is a typical regional saying?
Is that Ben Bradshaw?
What is your office motto?
‘What is the margin of safety?’ Experience teaches that even the best ideas can go wrong. When they do, it is better that you have not bought something that was already priced for perfection; downside protection is in our DNA.
- CISI slams FCA plan to scrap Approved Persons Register 5
- Is the auto industry the next ‘Big Short?’
- How to make a compensation payout last a lifetime 1
- Déjà vu all over again: tax avoidance or criminal activity?
- Should wealth firms consider TV advertising?
- Data protection dilemma: how to tackle Mifid II and GDPR clash
- Polar Capital's Rochussen: 'You have to be ruthless'
Sunday Papers: UK stocks slip down world league table
And Coinbase has warned that there may be no way to cash out in case of bitcoin crash.
- Robo firm hires ex-Allianz uni boffin as CIO
- The Expert View: Ladbrokes, Whitbread and Smiths
- Friday Papers: Bitcoin bonanza takes hold of world markets
- Overnight Markets: Wall Street gains ahead of jobs data
- Jupiter hires mandarin for UK growth strategy
- From Brewin to Brighton: How David Pegler's firm has evolved
Mark Barnett - part 2: why I'm not buying Lloyds
In the second part of our exclusive video interview, Barnett explains why he has no intention of buying Lloyds, and where he sees the greatest income opportunities.
Wealth managers reveal the best investment ideas of the year
From robotics to impact investing, wealth managers share the best ideas they have heard this year.
Baillie Gifford's Earnshaw on Xi Jinping's 'new era'
Sophie Earnshaw talks through what Xi Jinping's 'new era' means for investors. and why Chinese tech offers some of best growth stocks in the world.
Profile: JM Finn on why the future is with financial planners
There is a lot of work on pension consolidation and Sipps have been a big driver there, says JM Finn chief executive
Pub Club: at The Old Beams in Milton Keynes with WH Ireland
MPS Investment Committee: Simon Doherty, Quilter Cheviot
Office Spotlight: Equilibrium Asset Management, Cheshire
MPS Investment Committee: Sanjay Rijhsinghani and MPS team, LGT Vestra
Dining with 7IM's Damian Barry at The Culpeper
On the Road Challenge: Bowling with Kleinwort Hambros
Pub Club: at the bar with Standard Life Wealth's resident rugby star
Office Spotlight: Hargreave Hale, Llandudno
Parmenion: the perks of investing in interesting times
Investment Committee: Arnaud Gandon, Heptagon Capital
Pub Club: At the Water Poet with BMO's Kelly Prior
Office Spotlight: Brooks Macdonald, Manchester
Made in the Midlands: the growth of boutique BRI Wealth Management
Pub Club: At The Cask & Glass with PortfolioMetrix
Coutts celebrate opening of Rwanda cricket ground
Office Spotlight: Casterbridge Wealth, Salisbury
Citigold client events with a difference
Investment Committee: Gary Stockdale, Vertem Asset Management
Pub Club: at the Oast House with Investec W&I Manchester head
Office Spotlight: Brewin Dolphin, Bristol
Investment Committee: Murray Asset Management keeping the consumer confident