- The Sunday Telegraph: Dixons and Carphone Warehouse are on Thursday expected to confirm their “merger of equals” in a deal that will change the face of British electronics retailing.
- Mail on Sunday: American drugs giant Pfizer is to face a mass campaign against its planned takeover of British rival AstraZeneca as unions attempt to mobilise the public in a Cadbury-style revolt against the multi-billion pound deal.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Co-op Bank hits £400 million fundraising; the Co-operative Group's stake has reduced to 20.03%.
- Mail on Sunday: City experts are warning that Lloyds plans to unleash fresh waves of closures which could mean hundreds of branches being axed.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Europe's banks need a fundamental restructuring to sort out the mess from the 2008 financial crisis, claims former senior aide to European Commission president José Manuel Barroso.
Business and economics
- Mail on Sunday: Reformers hoping to overhaul the battered Co-operative Group fear their plans could be stymied by board members who face losing their £80,000-a-year jobs even if the changes are approved at this week’s annual general meeting.
- Mail on Sunday: The Co-operative Group plans to kick its former banking subsidiary out of all of its supermarkets in the latest sign of a deepening split between the two organisations.
- The Sunday Telegraph: BT has promised to "shack up" the mobile market when it launches its own network this year, raising the prospect of price war on 4G services.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Vince Cable will open the UK's largest purpose-built winery this week, creating up to 230 jobs in rural Sussex.
Share tips, comment and bids
- The Sunday Telegraph (Questor share tip): Avoid Drax as future falls victim to change in policy.
- Mail on Sunday: Dixons Retail and Carphone Warehouse will this week reveal the terms of a £4 billion merger of the two groups, promising it will create hundreds of new jobs.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Cycling specialist saddles up for flotation; Wiggle is working with advisers at boutique investment bank Rothschild on a potential flotation.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Software company Anite has entered into exclusive talks to sell its travel business to LDC, the private equity arm of Lloyds Banking Group.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Formula 1 has handed thousands of free hospitality passes, worth the equivalent of $5.4 million, to CVC, the private equity fund that controls it.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Yahoo! spent more than $1.21 billion buying 22 private technology businesses last year.
- Mail on Sunday (Comment): With dangerous bubbles appearing in parts of the housing market, the Bank must find a way to cool those hotspots without derailing the whole economy.
- The Observer (Comment): The former City minister has divided the co-operative movement. But his proposals are the only credible ones on the table.
- The Sunday Telegraph (Comment): Only full separation will make our big banks safe; as long as retail and investment banking are contained within the same group, governments will never let them go bust, given the need to protect ordinary deposits.