- The Sunday Telegraph: Bank of England calls for relaxation of capital rules, which may improve competition and boost economy.
- Mail on Sunday: Sports tycoon Mike Ashley will this week announce a leap in profits at Sports Direct as he prepares to embark on a ‘blitz’ of acquisitions.
- The Sunday Telegraph: AstraZeneca to unveil Cambridge plans; the Anglo-Swedish drug maker is to launch a public consultation on the architectural plans for new £330 million facility on Friday.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Ian Powell says UK’s low corporate tax rate is an added advantage for British business, and should not be dismissed.
- Mail on Sunday: The number of properties for sale in Britain remains in a slump, at half the number on sale in 2008. What is more the number of properties for sale has been declining for months.
Business and economics
- Mail on Sunday: Millionaire investors in a £5 billion alleged tax avoidance scheme run by financier Patrick McKenna’s investment firm Ingenious are preparing to settle with the taxman rather than face a court battle with the authorities.
- The Sunday Telegraph: First Group board rejects carve-up calls; activist shareholders had proposed the group sell off its US arm.
- Mail on Sunday: American drugs group AbbVie and its British takeover target Shire are widely expected to renew discussions this week after initial talks between the bosses of the two groups on Thursday and Friday were inconclusive.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Drug groups have begun discussions with private equity players about the potential sale of their off-patent medicines, but hurdles remain.
Share tips, comment and bids
- The Sunday Telegraph (Questor share tip): Hold Experian for growing dividends.
- The Sunday Telegraph (Questor share tip): Life in the private sector is proving tough with parcel volumes falling and competition hitting Royal Mail shares. Questor thinks the long term investment case remains.
- Mail on Sunday: PizzaExpress has been snapped up by a Chinese private equity group for £900 million this weekend.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Precious Cells BioBank has agreed terms to acquire stem cell firm Pharmacells Group.
- The Observer (Comment): Mark Carney and the pope earn praise for discussing social justice. But it is 'anti-business' when Labour does the same.
- The Sunday Telegraph (Comment): Real threat to a UK recovery; dig below the surface and there are good reasons for believing the recovery is fragile.
- The Sunday Telegraph (Comment): India’s potential is huge, and we should cash in.
- The Sunday Telegraph (Comment): Americans have a Briton to thank for the dollar’s power.