View the article online at http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/article/a758363
Woodford buys major holdings in tech trio from Invesco
by Robert St George on Jun 23, 2014 at 14:35
Neil Woodford has started to buy shares in several of his favourite technology firms from his former employer.
Woodford (pictured) had held stem-cell specialist ReNeuron through his former Invesco Perpetual funds and in his St James’s Place mandate, and has now acquired 242 million shares for his new CF Woodford Equity Income fund. That stake is worth around £7 million and means Woodford now owns 14.9% of the company.
On the same day that Woodford bought his shares in ReNeuron, Invesco reduced its holding in the firm by 242 million shares.
Woodford has also been a longstanding investor in e-Therapeutics and has bought 18.2 million shares in the business for his new fund. That is worth around £5 million and takes Woodford’s ownership of e-Therapeutics to 17.7%. Again, Invesco cut its position in e-Therapeutics by the same number of shares on the same day.
Invesco similarly sold 10 million shares in polymer developer Revolymer, worth almost £5 million, on the same day Woodford procured a stake of the same size.
Invesco declined to comment on whether a deal had been struck between them over the formal transfer of holdings, while a spokesperson for Woodford Investment Management told Wealth Manager that 'no conversations' had taken place between the two firms on the subject.
Other investments by Woodford for his new fund emphasise his interest in small-cap tech firms.
Benchmark Holdings listed only in December last year, for example, and focuses on biotechnology for aquaculture and agriculture. Woodford has initiated a position in Benchmark with the purchase of 8.5 million shares, equivalent to 6.2% of the firm and worth around £7 million.
News sponsored by:
As the UK coalition government strives to rebalance the national economy, so called 'reshoring' looks set to play an increasingly important role in economic recovery.
Today's top headlines
From Nigeria to Pakistan and from Kenya to Kuwait, frontier markets are catching investors' attention as never before.
More about this:
Look up the shares
- ReNeuron Group PLC (RQE.L)
- E-Therapeutics PLC (ETXP.L)
- Benchmark Holdings PLC (BMKB.L)
- Revolymer PLC (REVO.L)
- Imperial Innovations Group PLC (IVO.L)
- RM2 International SA (RM2.L)
Look up the fund managers
More from us
- Woodford: 'There are compelling opportunities in unquoted tech'
- Woodford plans 'more concentrated' fund for second launch
- Woodford & Invesco back venture capitalist's £150m fundraising
- Woodford seeks talks with Invesco on multibillion-pound share deal
- The Woodford Woodstock: rock ‘n’ roll funds
- The bank which convinced Woodford to break 10-year habit
- Woodford reveals new fund fees
- Woodford factor: how much will star’s offer period attract?
- Neil Woodford video: I will build a firm fit for 21st century